About me

I am one of those quirky Bulleteers who spend more money on their thumpers than on their wives. Being a bachelor does make the job a lot easier. However I have never being shy of trying out new things on my royal ride. Since the time I got my own bullet, I have steadily experimented with mods.

Mind you these are not mods that aim to change the look of Bullet and make it a “HARDLY Davidson”. No thank you. I very much love the old style charm of Royal Enfield. These are mods that aim to get the best out of your Enfield so that you can break a leg with your ride without literally breaking your leg starting it.

So in the interest of the “Bullet brotherhood”, I am sharing my list of mods that have actually made my Bullet experience better. Please do feel free to post in the comments section any products that you feel deserve mentioning in my list.

Also read my review on Bullet mechanics in Delhi NCR and Must have Royal Enfield Bullet accessories



Monday, November 23, 2015

Roots megasonic horns review

Dual tone
Roots Megasonic Horns

There are two types of Bullet riders: a. Whose bull is a sound machine or b. Whose bull is a noise machine. I always prided myself to be the former. Regular maintenance on my part has my bull in a very sound condition and it always gives out the right notes which are music to my ears. I used to rarely if ever use horns making do with passing light function most of the times. And then I started riding in Gurgaon and had my first accident. The guy sitting in Tavera ignored my passing light signals, ignored my last ditch attempts on my standard Minda horns, even ignored the fact of his Tavera slamming into my Bull. As I lay on the road seeing the Tavera drive away I could hear the “Char botal vodka” song booming in his car. The only thing I could think at that moment was if there was a horn that I could use to blast him out of this song or maybe even his car.
I started my search on the loudest horn available for these uncouth drivers and finally landed on Megasonic horns by Roots. Within the legal limits these horns are exceedingly loud. In fact they are so loud that I started limiting my horn pressing to short beeps, so I don’t scare the people. I was also impressed by their durable quality. I have literally (and I know when to use “literally” instead of “figuratively”) taken these through water, mud and even fire on one instance. I have even had one of them getting dislodged from a moving motorcycle. It has been two years since I bought them and they have yet to fail me. Extremely good horns in case you are looking for highway presence.

See the video to listen to the Roots megasonic horns

Pros or advantages of Roots megasonic horns

Very loud horns, Good for highway presence, Very very durable. Looks are quite good too.

Cons or disadvantages of Roots megasonic horns

The  horns are quite big and bulky. They are quite heavy too which makes them difficult to be installed in all the positions. Furthermore the wiring provided with the horns is not good quality which causes regular failure.

Further improvements required in Roots megasonic horns

In case the size and weight of the horns can be reduced it will be a blessing. The wiring can be given with better crimps that are corrosion resistant and do not come out easily. This will ensure that the horns don’t fail due to bad wiring.

Usage tips for Roots megasonic horns

Though most people prefer these horns facing the sides, due to easier installation, I like it facing bang in front so the horn sound is more directed at people in ahead. The main points of failure for these horns are wirings running from the horns to relay. These wires are usually very thin, and joined with insulation tape which unravels over time. This can cause the exposed wire to touch the metal body causing the battery to drain out. Best way to overcome is to use quality crimps and crimpers to wire your horns. I will shortly post a video on how to go about it.

Where to buy Roots megasonic horns

Can be bought online also is available in most auto shops.

Price (approx) of Roots megasonic horns

Rs. 1800/- for set

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear Reader,

I encourage you to post your views in the comment section. However kindly keep in mind that everyone has their own views and no one must force one's view on another. With this in mind request you to keep your discussions courteous and respectful. Kindly avoid Inflammatory or insulting messages.

Wish you all fruitful exchange of ideas.